Author Topic: Personality Profiles of Snackers  (Read 2258 times)

lizzie61

Personality Profiles of Snackers
« on: October 17, 2007, 11:31:45 AM »
I really get a kick out of reading studies like the one below- better than those Cosmopolitan surveys!   I definitely agree that there is a very strong correlation between what and how much of something we eat and our emotions. There are different schools of thought on  profiling and food cravings.  I'll post more about that at another time.

I like tortilla chips ( organic blue ones to be exact) and I love black bean dip.  This means that I'm a high achiever, perfectionist and socially responsible.  YES...that's me on some level...I agree.  However, I don't strive for high achievement in all that I do.  I think I have a more practical reason for desiring achievement....eg..financial security , humanitarian effort.  Overall,  I'm content just being mediocre.

I love Potato chips even though I TRY to stay clear of them.  The problem is that I can't eat just one.  I will devour the entire bag in one sitting ( sometimes while I meditate..hehehe) I don't consider myself very success oriented and I am definitely NOT competitive.  However, I agree with the traffic comment.  I hate traffic and it does cause me to crave potato chips now that I think about it!  But, maybe since I like Tortillas and chips, I have been in denial about myself and I really am a high achiever? Maybe I am more of a perfectionist than I realize? hmmmmm I will think on that a bit more.

I LOVE spiced jelly beans which means that I like chewy foods and I know for fact that I eat them when I am most stressed, frustrated, overwhelmed.  I will stop at the local drugstore and literally run to the candy aisle for those Brach's spiced jelly beans.  I also like the gourmet jelly beans that I can mix and match ( the coconut and chocolate pudding is awesome!) I crave jelly beans after talking to my mother, while studying, or during an exam. I lack control when eating jelly beans and it's too easy for me to consume an entire bag.

I generally don't think of eating nuts when I seek a snack or comfort food but I do make my own trail mix and I keep a bag in my desk for eating while working.  This is a conscious choice to try and be healthy and reduce my temptation to eat something like cupcakes.   I love cashews and goji berries with chocolate nibs.  I wouldn't consider myself non-confrontational though.  Yet, I am easy going most of the time-      

CHEESE CURLS!!!  OH I used to eat them and I love them so!!  I don't like the puffy kind.  I like the crunchy kind. cheetos?  I refrain from eating them now because I can't stand to have that orange powder on my clothes and stuck to my fingers.  When I eat them I lack control and I end up with orange stain all over me.  YUK.  BUt, otherwise, I could eat them by the ton.  Do they make organic cheese curls?  I also like those cheese crackers made Kashi...country cheddar.  They are not very healthy, no doubt.  But, when I crave a comfort cracker, those are my favorites.

Popcorn is something I buy and then never eat.  SO, I can't say that I"m a popcorn person.  Besides, I haven't the patience to stand at the stove and pop it and I don't own a microwave ( which is very unhealthy and  can lead to popcorn lung- do a google if you're unfamiliar with this condition)  I suppose if I were at the movie theater I would get a big tub and munch down like everyone else....lots of butter, no salt.  I also like Raisinets and milk duds ( though my teeth probably couldn't tolerate the duds anymore).  Popcorn reminds me of those tasteless squeaky rice cakes.  WHy would anyone want to eat a rice cake?  It's like eating styrofoam. I can't think of anything appealing about rice cakes. But, maybe I don't have the personality for them??

OK..I do LOVE to eat turkey jerky.  I like the homemade kind that doesn't contain the sodium nitrite and other toxins.  But, I love to gnaw and chew on jerky!  I usually crave this when I'm shopping ( which I hate to do). My friends say that I'm a very honest and loyal friend that they trust so I guess this makes sense.  But, why would I crave jerky when I shop?  

I'm truly a recovering emotional eater.  Seriously.  I used to eat to fill up my empty tummy and I paid no mind to what I was eating or why I was eating it.  I'm very different today thank goodness.  But, I do admit that I have moments when I give in to my emotions and ' Death by Chocolate' sounds so much more appealing than living another moment without it.  :D

By Lisa Turner

Dying for a donut? Pining for a pretzel? What you snack on may reveal more than your food tastes, says Alan Hirsch, MD, neurological director of The Smell and Taste Treatment and Research Foundation in Chicago and author of What’s Your Food Sign (Stewart, Tabori, and Chang, 2006). “Everything we do, including snacking, reflects our underlying personality,” Hirsch says. “Snacks are a very emotion-laden food.”

To discover which personality types are connected with which food preferences—and to find out how strong that connection is—Hirsch has conducted scads of studies involving more than 18,000 people. In one of the larger ones, 800 volunteers took numerous personality tests and then named their favorite snacks. “We found that there was a statistically significant correlation between a person’s snack food preference and their personality type 95 percent of the time,” Hirsch says. That means that 95 out of 100 times, you can predict a person’s character traits by his or her snack choice. People who eat tortilla chips, for example, tend to be driven, while nut lovers are laid-back and easygoing.

While linking your personality type with your passion for popcorn may seem like a stretch, Hirsch says that biologically it makes sense. “Food preferences reside in the olfactory lobe, the same part of the brain where the personality resides,” Hirsch explains. What’s more, food preferences develop at the same time as your personality—from birth to age 7. So “it’s possible that neural systems and pathways that develop simultaneously may be linked in more than random fashion,” according to Hirsch. “They may, in fact, be dependent on each other.” Indeed, at Hirsch’s research center, they’ve observed that when people lose their sense of smell or taste, their personality sometimes changes as well.

Along with your personality type, your emotional state at any given moment also influences what goodies you grab. “There are two different types of snack patterns,” says Linda Spangle, RN, MA, author of 100 Days of Weight Loss (SunQuest Media, 2006). “The first is a tendency to snack on chewy or crunchy foods, things you really bite down on, like chips, pretzels, or cookies. The other category is wanting to snack on foods that are smooth and soft, like ice cream, pasta, or bread.”

When you crave a chewy, crunchy snack, Spangle says, you often are responding to “pressure emotions,” like stress, anger, frustration, resentment, or feeling overwhelmed. When you reach for smooth, soft treats, though, you’re feeling what she calls “empty emotions,” like sadness, loneliness, restlessness, boredom, or neediness. Ever since Mom dished us out ice cream after skinning a knee, we’ve learned to associate food with feeling better—specifically, smooth foods for comfort and soothing and crunchy ones for venting stronger emotions. But “at some point we have to realize that food doesn’t fix our problems,” Spangle says. Reaching for food out of an emotional need rather than hunger only helps us gain weight, not gain on the problem. To address the root of your craving, Spangle recommends the following:

• If you hanker for something crunchy, ask yourself, “What do I want to ‘chew on’ in life? Will eating change this? What can I do instead?”

• If you reach for a soft, smooth treat, ask yourself, “What’s empty in my life? How am I trying to fill that emptiness? What am I trying to smooth over with ice cream or stuff up with smothered biscuits? Will eating this change that? What can I do instead?”

• To help get past the craving, try some alternative behaviors: For pressure emotions, go for a vigorous walk, pound a pillow, or chew gum. For empty emotions, choose soothing and nurturing activities: Take a warm bath, listen to music, or call a trusted friend.

• If the craving subsists, opt for healthier substitutes that still satisfy your need for crunch or comfort. Instead of triple-cheese Doritos, reach for whole-wheat pretzels, crisp apples, or carrot sticks. Rather than decadent mousse, choose chocolate low-fat yogurt, applesauce, or healthful soups.

• Watch how much you eat. “Have a few chips, and then stop and reassess how you feel,” Spangle says. Five chips may psychologically boost your mood just as much as 50.

Lisa Turner is a nutrition writer, personal chef, and food coach in Boulder, Colorado.

Mien Munchies

What do your snack preferences say about you? In one of Alan Hirsch’s larger studies, he had 800 volunteers take several personality tests and then asked them which of eight snacks they preferred. The correlations were astounding: People with a particular personality type chose the same snack as others with the identical personality type 95 percent of the time. Find out how well the snack-personality profiles match you (and if you’re curious about what your favorite ice cream flavors reveal, check out Web Exclusives at (www.alternativemedicine.com).

Here’s the message in some popular munchies:

Tortilla chips. You’re a perfectionist, with high standards for yourself and others. You’re successful, ambitious, and like to plan ahead. You also have a strong sense of social responsibility and abhor injustices, large or small.

Pretzels. You’re energetic and lively, the life of the party. You love novelty and can quickly become bored with the routine and mundane. You’re sometimes easily distracted and tend to start new projects before completing existing ones.

Cheese curls. You have a high sense of morals and ethics and insist upon treating everyone fairly. You’re wise, conscientious, and prepared for anything. You may seem uptight to others, but you’re highly organized and methodical.

Popcorn. You’re a take-charge type, as ambitious and goal-oriented as chip people, but with a more modest, low-key demeanor. You’re confident but reserved, the type who would make a large charitable donation without telling anyone.

Nuts. You’re even-tempered, easy to get along with, and highly empathetic. You may not be a natural leader, like a chip or popcorn person, but your easygoing, cooperative nature contributes to your success at home and work.

Potato chips. You’re achievement-oriented, successful, and competitive. You’re a natural leader but can be easily irritated with life’s inconveniences, like long lines or traffic jams.

Crackers. You’re contemplative, thoughtful, and often a loner. You prefer private time and shy away from confrontation and arguments; you can’t stand to hurt another person’s feelings.

Meat snacks (like beef jerky). You’re gregarious, extroverted, and generous and tend to be trustworthy and loyal to a fault. Says Hirsch, “If you want a true friend, pick a meat-snack lover.”

Gregg

Re: Personality Profiles of Snackers
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2007, 04:06:23 PM »
The old Gregg snacker or the New Gregg? The old Gregg is much more fun, but let's go with the new Gregg.

I just finished a couple carrot and celery sticks with ranch dressing. I snack very little these days. I do like regualar tortilla chips from the restaurant, not store bought. I like my salsa light, liquidy without the onions and stuff in it.
I only eat chips maybe once a week. Seldom tater chips. I like popcorn, but theatre popcorn. I will eat micro popcorn maybe once a week, but only a small bowl.

I eat 1/2 a pnut butr and jelly sandwich sometimes before bed. Sometimes a healthy cereal, like wheat chex, corn flakes, or raisin bran before bed and for breakfast. I'll eat an orange sometimes, an apple during winter months. I have to watch sugar in anything including fruit. I like saltine crackers, or Ritz with cheese or pnut butter. If I have a soda, it's diet, or I water it down. I have unsweetened tea, liptons in the bottle.

I like french bread with margerine for a snack or just plain. I will include a slice of onion now and then. This makes Gregg the intelligent, quick witted, lovable man he is. It also makes me a thin one these days.

Gregg

Joanne

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2007, 04:49:21 PM »
Hey Lizzie!

I haven't seen you posting much lately. I'm sending good vibes your way with the hope that you are ok.

Hugs,
Jo

lizzie61

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2007, 10:43:33 AM »
Hi Jo,
I'm doing fine- just super duper busy and my schedule is leaving me with only a few mins here and there for leisure.  My dog is really upset with me and she has now developed a terrible habit of ringing her  ( door) bell NON-STOP at all hours of the day and night in an effort to gain attention.  I feel horrible about neglecting her -- but it's only temporary ( until December). I have a very short fuse these days and it's a real challenge trying to 'be there' for anyone.  I now have very painful tendonitis in my elbow from sitting at the microscope for long hours each day.  Is that just ridiculous or what?!  I'm serious!  I joked with a woman one day about how we are all going to end up on disability before we even get a job!  She told me that she had serious problems with her neck, elbow, back and legs now due to lab work.  

As a result, I've been trying to do some stretches and lift weights every morning in hopes of making myself more ' Gumby-ish'. Come to think of it, my diet now consists of two very raw, very potent,VERY GREEN, smoothies each day...so, perhaps I will become Gumby afterall!

Hope you're doing well.

I'll try to come back for a brief visit next week.  Liz

Joanne

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2007, 08:50:42 PM »
You are sooo right about how our jobs can wreak havoc on our bodies. I know several dentists who have serious back orders from bending over in the same direction on and off all day.

Get this, the other day, I went for my yearly gyno exam and noticed my doc was sitting on a special looking cushion. I asked her if her back was ok and she said he pelvis was giving her trouble after all these years of sitting down and getting up from exams all day long, week after week, year after year.

How sad is that?

So here's to giving your elbow regular stretches during your work day and changing your workstation as often as possible throughout the day, too.

Glad to read that overall, you are ok, though. Sorry to hear about your pooch. What's with the bell thing? You taught her to ring a bell??  That's pretty advanced. I'm impressed :)

Dini

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2007, 03:41:03 PM »
Lizzie, Gregg & Joanne,

I've got lower back pads at my desk, in my car and a special "back chair" I bought when I first injured my back.  You recline on it but it's different than a standard recliner; it's based on the seats astronauts use when being thrust into space and takes the weight of gravity off of your spine; the g-forces would fuse every spine in their body if they were sitting upright.  And I pay a lot more attention to my posture, which makes a difference, and which I learned doing Pilates.  Lizzie; Pilates is great for both stretching and strengthening muscles and breathing properly is very integral to it so there are times when though you are doing something physical, you really are in a sort of trance and it's very meditative.  I highly recommend it along with the big rubber balls and rollers that you can use at home which really help with stretching out every part of the body but especially the back and neck and chest.

Computers and sitting hunched over them doesn't help much, nor does driving.  Nor does stress accompanied by physical inactivity (while working).  Basically all the elements of the modern day work-world.

I saw this article about personality types and food in the paper a short while back and got a yuck out of it because there are so many contradictions (at least for me).  

I just finished a "snack" of "organic" iceberg lettuce with oil and vinegar.  

I like tortilla chips; like Gregg, I like the real deal home-made ones you get in a good store-front Mexican food joint, not the store bought ones.  And I like salsa fresca with them, or as a Mexican friend of mine's mother used to call it when she made it at home, "la bandera" (the flag - red, white and green - I love cilantro).  And the personalities types described pretty much apply.

Pretzels are neither here nor there to me; except for the ones you buy from a street vendor in NY or Boston; warm and they are a meal, not a snack.  And the personality description pretty much applies as well.

Cheese curls.  Haven't eaten them since I don't know when (like my teens?) but when I did I liked them but just like Lizzie, hated looking like someone had applied a bad make-up job after eating a few.  That's probably why I stopped eating them, among other reasons (like I started eating healthier as I got older).

Popcorn.  Don't like micro-waved popcorn.  Gotta be the real deal.  What's the fun if you don't have to stand over it at the stove and move it around and keep it from burning.  No butter (used to do the butter when I was younger). Light salt.

Nuts.  Yes, I am.  In terms of eating them I generally will have nuts with a Trader Joe's trail mix blend but could eat cashews till the cows came home (what does that expression mean?  When DO the cows come home)?  

Tater chips.  Rarely eat them anymore, but like Lizzie, if I do buy them and open the bag, they ain't gonna be around for long.  Specially like the really cooked brown ones - growing up in Boston there was a company that made "Wise" tater chips with an owl logo, and I liked those cause they were the brownest, now there's a number of browned chips on the market.  Sometimes, I'll make sorta chips at home: you thinly slice taters, rub your hands and the taters in olive oil, spread them on a baking sheet, sprinkle salt, pepper to your liking (or not) and I like a sprinkle of paprika, turn when brown and yuuuuum.

Crackers:  I sometimes, and for the past year or so when I really haven't been eating regular "meals" have existed on crackers (cracked wheat or those middle eastern ones I can't think of the name of) along with pb & j or cheese, the sharper the better.

Meat snacks: never got into jerky or anything I would describe as a meat "snack" (though as a kid and into my teens I could make a good-sized stick of pepperoni disappear quick as a wink and would do it still if it wouldn't send my stomach into fits).  Still eat meat, but not much anymore and mostly of the white variety, though a pork roast or pork butt stuffed with garlic cloves, covered in sea salt and pepper and slow roasted will get my attention.  Managed to cook one of those in an oven the size of a glove-box one time bobbing around on a sailboat off the BC coast.  It was the only meal I made on that trip and I was treated with love and respect from that evening forward, no matter how slovenly I sailed the boat.  

Fish snacks: They left out fish snacks.  Tinned kippered herring.  Protein and a little salty.  Right out of the tin.  Or, on toasted dark rye with a little smear of brown mustard.  That's my "protein" meal a lot of the time these days.  Or herring in cream sauce.  

Editors Note:  When I first hit the wall of severe depression, a new life experience for me, and was first given Effexor (ugh, yuck, wretch) I neither wanted to nor could (due to the Effexor) eat.  Even when I stopped taking the Effexor I didn't want to eat.  (My "proper" eating habits have yet to return and I tend to snack rather than have meals, which I'm beginning to think is actually healthier).  I never weigh myself so I don't know how much weight I lost but didn't have much weight to lose anyway - was pretty much in trim to start with - I weigh pretty much what I did playing high school football, except the fat to muscle ratio has kind of gone to hell in a handbasket.  Lost so much weight that at one point a mutual friend asked of another "geez, is D on crack?" and I did not have one single pair of pants that fit; I looked like a teenage kid with his arse hanging out of his drawers.  Another lost pound and I probably would have ended up in the hospital being force-fed via IV.  Personally, I thought I had acquired quite the gallant Jagger-Richards rock star look and was only in need of a good band.  (I was also having my first experience with a couple of episodes of derealization so that particular little delusion can be excused as fairly minor).  When my appetite returned, it did so with a vengeance (then sort of went into snacking mode where it's been for a year or so). Here's what I found interesting; when I started to want food again, I REALLY wanted food and I REALLY wanted certain types of food - those that contained lots of salt and fat.  Tater chips and ice cream and yogurt - I just went nuts for a while devouring anything salty or fatty.  Made me think of how primitive we still are - I was like a Cro-Magnon who hadn't feasted on a woolly mammoth in a long time, just speared one, and was storing up for the long, hungry interlude before the next one came along.  It was really the same response a Neanderthal or Cro-Magnon would have had to a long period of bad hunting.  Feast or famine.  Salt and fat.

lizzie61

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2007, 08:42:06 AM »
Hi Jo,
Yes, I teach all my dogs to ring a bell when they need to go outside. I hang a large Christmas Jingle bell by a piece of string over the door handle and my dogs hit it with their noses when they want to go outside. If you try this, make sure the bell hangs at nose level. you can use smaller cow bells or some other type.   I can hear it all over my house and it makes life so much easier.  I've always made certain that my dogs were well-trained- not only for my own peace of mind, but for their safety.  I started decorating for Christmas again...little by little..and my female dog just goes ape-crazy with excitement.  She grabbed all the little stuffed Santas and started running through the house with them.  Then, last night, in the middle of the night, I awoke to her barking at her stocking! She was sitting next to the fireplace staring at her stocking and barking with such persistence!  She's sixteen years old and still behaves like a puppy!  

My tendonitis isn't improving.  I have some days when it's just plain unbearable and other days when it doesn't seem noticeable until I move my arm a certain way. I requested a better chair and arm rest which does seem to help.  I've started doing yoga again as well.  Today, I was 'OM'ing" while I worked in an effort to relax my arm and neck.  Suprisingly enough it worked!  However, I fell into a trance and became oblivious to anyone around me and forgot that I was doing this until someone tapped me on the shoulder!  How embarrassing!  

I'm starving...gotta run find something to eat!
Take care, Lizzie

Joanne

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2007, 09:10:41 AM »
I remember you talking about your dog's love of Christmas decorations last year. What fun to be able to know you for holiday season after holiday season....

No seasonal decorations here yet. I'm just trying to get by, day be day right now.

Bummer about the tendinitis, but that story about OMing out at work is hysterical. And the best part is that your few minute break really helped and relaxed your arm. Your workplace ought to take a tip from you and institute regular OMing times. They'd probably realize what a lot of other institutions have...that 10 minutes of relaxation every hour leads to a remarkable increase in productivity in workers.

There you go...leading the way, once again!

lizzie61

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2007, 10:19:52 AM »
Hi Dini,
Long time, no see!
You're right about Pilates.  At one time I did a Pilates routine every day and I even have the Pilates machine!  I really need to make more effort to use it.  I also have the balls and I have those hula hoops for my arms.

When do the cows come home? hehehehe They never do- from my experience.  I lived on a dairy farm and they are not the brightest creatures.  I doubt they could find their way back home from anywhere and truthfully, I don't think they care!

You and I seem to have much of the same snacking habits. Maybe there is a correlation between astrological signs and snacks?  After all ,we are both Aquarians. I LOVE flatbread ( that mid eastern cracker you mentioned) and I often eat it with hummus and carrots and celery.  Do you like hummus? I found this really super nifty cup-cooler that carries my  hummus and veggie sticks and it's no bigger than a travel mug and I can keep it in my purse. However, as you may know, hummus leaves one with very garlicky breath and so people generally run when I break out my container.  I feel the same as you about pretzels-  warm and soft or none at all. I love the trader Joe's raw trail mix and I mix it with Dagoba choco nibs and dried cherries.  YUMMY!  The cashews are my favorite nut and I like pistachios too...if they are pealed.  Another addicting snack for me are Wasabi peas. TJ's has those too!  

You took Effexor?  I've known several people who experienced the same side effects that you did and worse.  My best friend hasn't been able to work since she took it and my other friend, a Wyeth pharmaceutical rep ( who sold Effexor!) lost her job and her marriage because it had such a bad effect on her personality.  Effexor does cause loss of appetite and ironically, many psychiatrists prescribe it to anorectics even though the label says not to ever prescribe it to anyone with an eating disorder.    
There is a very rational and scientific reason why you began craving those salty and fatty and sugary treats.  Very simply, ALL SSRI's and SSNRI's create dysglycemia/blood sugar imbalance which leads to a craving for refined sugars and carbohydrates as well as alcohol. Your body was in desperate need for a quick fixer upper and what better way than to eat refined carbs? They also deplete the heck out of B-vitamins ( necessary for neuro-function) and they also increase serum cholesterol and blood pressure and cortisol - resulting in poor metabolic function.  I can't even begin to tell you how dangerous these drugs are and how they adversely affect every physiological system in our bodies. Your body was craving 'fat' but eating the wrong fat. Fat and cholesterol are necessary for your nervous system to function properly ( including your brain which is all fat!) and since your body doesn't know the difference between good and bad fats/cholesterol, you were eating the 'bad' fats with no good results. Your body was crying out in desperation trying to maintain proper neural function.  It is critical that anyone taking this type of medication supplement with EFA's...essential fatty acids and or a very high quality fish oil as well as B-vitamins ( liquid if possible).  Dini, did you know that these medications should never be prescribed to alcoholics?  For one thing,these drugs require a high level of liver function to metabolize them safely and most alcoholics or heavy drinkers don't have healthy liver function.  The other reason has to do with the blood sugar issues that I mentioned earlier.
I had the most bizarre reaction to these drugs.  I don't drink, so drinking wasn't even a normal consideration for me unless I was throwing a party and I never used artificial sweeteners..UNTIL I took Paxil.  Dini, I became quite beligerent toward everyone if they did not have alcohol in their home.  I also purchased several fifths of booze to keep in my own home and I bought two large boxes of aspartame/nutrisweet and sat in the middle of my kitchen floor, pouring the packets down my throat.  I ate an entire box before my husband found me in a ' sugar-junky's' nod. THEN, I started buying boxes of instant mashed potatoes and I would eat the entire box/two packets a day and I would hide the dishes in our garage and burn the boxes in my fireplace so that my husband wouldn't find them.  Is that just insane? I purchased the potatoes on MY credit card so that he wouldn't find out that I had been to the store.  It got so bad that I would hide the new boxes in my car where the spare tire was kept. Eventually, he found out and He told my doctor about it and my doc knew that it was the medication causing me to behave this way. I developed Type II diabetes at that point as well.  Dini, I was being treated like a certified addict. I can still hear my doctor telling my husband how to control my food, lock cupboards, etc.... I felt so ashamed.  Sounds crazy, eh?  Sounds laughable and insane and yet it's SO TRUE!  

Doctors are extremely short-sighted when carelessly prescribing these medications. It's as if they only focus on a person's head without ever considering the rest of the body.  Enuff said.  I hope you are doing better now.  

Cheers to Wellness!  Lizzie

Dini

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2007, 11:32:24 AM »
Lizzie,

Doing much better now and yeah, my behavior itself got pretty out there when I took the effexor.  I wasn't me.

I LOVE hummus.  Could eat it all week.

That's interesting about the carbs and sugar and salt; body craving it but eating all the wrong ones (instant gratification).  Thankfully, I didn't reach for any alcohol.

When I was first sober I went in for a complete physical exam, told them do the works, test EVERYTHING.  Came up clean.  The Spirits gave me a great big get out of jail free card on that one given what I had done to my body with booze.  I have ever been grateful for that.

And I did forget pistachios.  Love them too, though they require a little work.  And regular old peanuts but at a ballgame; just seems like part of the game and it's the only place you can just drop the shells on the ground and it's not considered bad manners.......hehe

lizzie61

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2007, 12:21:42 PM »
A couple of years ago, I was invited to attend a company Christmas party at one of those steakhouses where they throw peanuts all over the floor.  It was truly the most disgusting place and I have never been back.  I can't remember the name of the restaurant but it's similar to an Outback.  The music was way too loud, the service was awful and the peanut detritus was just TOO filthy and annoying.  I kept worrying about slipping and falling.  yeah, yeah...I'm just such a party pooper!

You should do a little research on food cravings. For example, a chocolate craving is quite often indicative of a magnesium deficiency and or seratonin imbalance in the stomach and or brain.  We often crave the ' wrong' types of foods because our food choices today are so limited to processed/synethetic versions- unlike the foods that our ancestors consumed.  So, when we crave 'fat', unfortunately, we don't typically have healthy fats available to us and our bodies don't "know" the difference until we consume them and end up with adverse reactions ( allergies) and poor health.  A hundred years ago, when someone craved fat, they didn't have potato chips and deep fried onion rings.  They went out to the North 40 and slaudered a natural, hormone free, free-range, grass fed steer. Pica involves cravings for non-food items as a result of some mineral deficiency.  Often pregnant women crave bizarre things like yard dirt/clay and laundry starch and it's really quite an insatiable craving!  Intense salt cravings are often misdiagnosed as Addison's or Cushing's disease ( adrenal diseases) in patients using SSRI or SSNRI medications that cause poor adrenal function and hypoglycemia.  

I have never behaved so utterly insane as I did when I was taking psychotropic meds.  I don't recall all the crazy-making but my friends remember it quite well. I will NEVER ever ever ever do that to my body or my life again. It's been 7 years since then and I'm STILL suffering the consequences.  I remember reading about two pharmacists in CA who sued Smith, Kline because they took Paxil and ended up losing their jobs and couldn't work again and it was their story that made me realize what was happening to me.

lizzie61

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2007, 12:28:35 PM »
Jo,
 I wasn't aware of how Om'ing actually benefits the body! That vibration actually does all sorts of wonderful things like stimulate the immune system, clear sinuses, relax muscles. I thought it was just a 'noise' to help one clear the mind. I've never been very good at meditating in the past. But now that I know that the Om'ing has a ' real' purpose, I will be more inclined to do it more often without feeling embarrassed!

Time flies doesn't it?  It seems like we were discussing decorations just a few weeks ago.  I remember almost everything you wrote about your decorations!  

I'm already packing up gifts.  I sliced my hand open today with one of those tape dispenser thingys.  lovely.  

Cheers!  lizzie